Here are the minutes of the general PAC meeting held on November 16. They are available for download in pdf format here.
ECOLE HEATHER PARK ELEMENARY PARENT ADVISORY COUNCIL MEETING
Wednesday November 16, 2011
Attendance: 14 parents
- Call to order: 7:00 pm
- October 19, 2011 minutes reviewed by Lesley
- Motion: Leeann moved to approve minutes, seconded by Tracey. Carried
- Lesley reviewed the standard admin procedures for PAC meetings including posting of minutes on the website, Roberts Rules of Order, format of motions, parking lot, additions to agenda etc.
- Leeann reviews financial status as of October 31, 2011. No issues.
- Reviewed a number of Spending requests:
- Motion: Leeann moved that the PAC spend $125 for additional Hexbugs and equipment for the Hexbugclub. . Seconded by Michelle. Carried.
- There was also discussion in support of using this money to informally provide bugs for students who may not have the resources to purchase one.
- Motion: Leeann moved that the PAC pay an additional $64.80 to cover the additional charges for the movie licence for the year. Seconded by Brad. Carried
- Motion: Leeann moved that the PAC pay up to $250 for live music for the Christmas Soiree. This is in addition to the $500 already approved for the event. Seconded by Tami. Carried.
- Motion: Leeann moved that the PAC purchase candy canes/ oranges to give to each child after the Christmas singalong, up to $150. Seconded by Michelle . Carried.
- The Financial Review Committee, which was formed at the last PAC meeting, met earlier in the month to review the 2010/2011 financial books. No issues were found, and everything is in order. The Committee plans to meet again in February to review the books for the first ½ of 2011/2012.
- Tamara Good, the school’s Youth Care Worker made a presentation on the program’s current activities and funding wishes.
- Motion: Cindy moved that the PAC provide the Youth Care Program $250 for supplies. Sarah seconded. Carried
- Tami provided a verbal and written update
- Sarah provided a verbal and written update
- Last year, there was a big focus on implementing and practicing an evacuation plan for the school. This year the focus is on Intruder safety. There are a number of security features in the school (cameras, door locks etc). The school is working to increase safety by having a visitor sign-in system, staff name tags etc. An Intruder Alert protocol is being developed and soon the school will begin implementing it and practicing it with the students. This will be introduced in phases, in order not to alarm any participants.
- Discussed the school’s Head Lice Policy. Any cases of headlice should be reported to the school, and information sheets are sent home to students if there is head lice in their classroom. The school nurse is also doing some checks, and has put on a class to show parents how to check for it.
- No teachers present at the meeting
- Purdy’s order has closed, approximately $1000 was raised. Chocolate will be arriving in early December.
- Regal Catalogue sales are ongoing until November 30.
- Shhhh fundraiser will be on Wednesday November 23, 7:00-9:00 pm
- Motion: Yvonne moved that the December PAC meeting be canceled due to the Holiday Season. Seconded by Cindy. Carried
- The Committee met on Monday, and have agreed to focus on three main areas in the school ground
- Converting one of the basketball courts in to a play area and moving the Austin Road playground to this location
- Adding additional play structure to the Kindergarten play area in the bus loop
- Adding soccer posts to the field, and creating 2 smaller sideways fields, instead of one large one.
- Some background information was provided on what is involved in forming a Society. This topic will be discussed at the January PAC meeting. If there are any initial questions, please contact Sarah.
- November 19- Upstairs Pizza Day
- November 29 – Fruit and Veggies
- December 2 – Downstairs Pizza Day
- December 15 – Christmas Soiree
- A minimum of 3 Parent reps are needed for the School Planning Council. An election will be held for the School Planning Council at the January PAC meeting.
- Meeting adjourned at 8:30pm
Next Meeting January 16 at 6:45 pm in the Computer Room