Minutes of May 1 Special PAC Meeting

Here are the minutes of the special PAC meeting held on May 1. They are available for download in pdf format here.

ECOLE HEATHER PARK ELEMENTARY PARENT ADVISORY COUNCIL MEETING
Tuesday May 1, 2012
Computer Room
Attendance 15 Parents, 1 guest

  1. Call to order: 7:00 pm
  2. Discussion
    • Discussed the 3 possible options for a new playground in the busloop area. There was strong support for creating an accessible playground, but serious concerns about whether we would be able to do the project justice by placing it in the busloop area. The geography/topography of the area would make it very difficult to place an accessible playground there, require lots of additional paved pathways, and Henderson only provides one accessible option for that age group. Option 3 is also not completely accessible as it is a ramp over pea gravel, and doesn’t have a rubber surface.
    • Providing an additional playground in the busloop area is a priority, as there are many primary students who use that area and there are too many students for the existing structure.
    • The only other area on the school grounds that would be suitable for accessible playground is part of the basketball courts to the back of the school. It may be an option to install a 5th playground, which would be wheelchair accessible in that spot. That would be an additional project which would need to be planned separately, and would require new fundraising, grants etc. PAC may be able to take this on next year.
    • If we want to have the playground installed this summer, we need to make a decision at this meeting, and then present it at the Ed Services meeting next week.
    • Motion: Cindy moved that the PAC purchase the Little Shippy playground, and install it on pea gravel in the busloops for a cost of up to $25,000. Seconded by Sharri. Carried
    • Motion: Brad moved that the PAC strike a working group to move forward with creating an accessible playground on the basket ball court area. Tami seconded. Carried.
      • Jane Major and Hazel volunteered to be on the working group
      • Action: Danielle will contact the Hintons to discuss further.
  3. Meeting adjourned at 8:10