Here are the minutes of the general PAC meeting held on June 20. You can download them in pdf format from here.
The DPAC report is available in pdf format from here.
The safety report is available in pdf format from here.
ECOLE HEATHER PARK ELEMENTARY PARENT ADVISORY COUNCIL MEETING
Wednesday June 20, 2012
Attendance 12 Parents, 2 guests
- Call to order: 7:00 pm
- Minutes of May 16, 2012 were reviewed
- Motion: Leeann moved to approve the minutes. Seconded by Karen T. Carried
- Lesley reviewed the standard admin procedures for PAC meetings including posting of minutes on the website, Roberts Rules of Order, format of motions, parking lot, additions to agenda etc.
- Leeann reviewed our financial status as of June 20, 2012. No issues
- The playground committee has been meeting and recently sent an email to the school’s EA’s to gather input on accessible playgrounds. After meeting with Mr. Fleck it looks like the first step in September will be to approach the School District to propose locating a new accessible playground in half of the area currently used for basketball. Although the playground would be considered accessible, it would also be very usable by all students
- Discussed how meetings can be improved for next year. Suggested not having the meetings on Tuesday’s as that is Kelly Road PAC’s meeting date. Thursday may be better. 6:30 start time may be better for parents who bring their kids to the meetings. Meetings should start out with an opportunity to add new items to the agenda if time permits.
- There was discussion around the best time of year to hold Executive Elections. PAC bylaws currently state that elections will be in June but there may be value in having them held in September when people are keener and when new parents to the school can attend. It was agreed that at the September PAC meeting, the PAC will discuss and potentially vote on changing the bylaws to allow for September elections of the Executive.
- Motion: Lesley moved that we hold the scheduled PAC election. Seconded by Brad. Carried.
- Chair: Lesley Lindsay (by acclamation)
- Vice Chair: Gina Layte-Liston (by acclamation)
- Co-Secretary: Tammy Stever (by acclamation)
- Co-Secretary: Yvonne Parkinson (by acclamation)
- Treasurer: Pam Saulters (by acclamation)
- Communications Coordinator: Brad McClain (by acclamation)
- Volunteer Coordinator: Lisa Neukomn (by acclamation)
- Motion: Tammy S. moved that we elect a Safety Coordinator to Executive. Seconded by Lisa. Carried
- Safety Coordinator: Tami Rowe
- A very big thank you to the outgoing executive for your contributions this year. It has been a great year. Thank you!
- Sarah provided a verbal and written update (attached)
- Tami provided a verbal and written update (attached)
- There was a gas leak evacuation of the school earlier in the month. The gas leak turned out to be a rupture a block away, so students were allowed to re-enter the school. Everyone did an impressive job of evacuating.
- Grade 7’s went to see the movie Bully. It was very powerful.
- Sports Day was held last week. Very positive feedback was received. The free lunch provided by PAC was very popular. Everyone was very impressed by the event and it was a lot of fun. Suggestions for next year: Announce the rotation number when rotations change. Limit kids to 1 candy bag. Ensure every student has at least one classmate in their groups. Carry a flag or something similar with each group so they’re easier to find. Great job!!
- Tomorrow night is the Grade 7 dance. Volunteers are welcome. Cost is $5/ticket. $1/concession item
- Year End assembly is next Wednesday. Primary 9:30, Intermediate 1:00. There will be a PowerPoint display, thank you’s, informal recognition.
- Aboriginal Day is June 21. There will be an event at lunch break
- Thank you again to the PAC for all the contributions this year.
- No teachers present at the meeting
- School supply packages went home this week. This is a small fundraiser for PAC. Orders and cheques are being received this week, and packages will be given to students on the first day of classes
- Motion: Lesley moved that the PAC pay SpeeDee printers for school supply packages and purchase Ziploc bags as needed. Seconded by Lisa. Carried.
- Discussion on doing another Teacher Survey in September, including questions around “what do you want the PAC to do?”, “what is your wish list for purchases”
- Discussion on Choir risers. This will be discussed again in the fall.
- Discussion on whether we still had surplus equipment at the school. All surplus equipment has been returned to SD57 for storage and redistribution.