École Heather Park Elementary is in the early stages of planning a field trip to Quebec City during the Quebec Winter Carnival in February 2014. This trip was previously offered to Grade 6, 7 and 8 students when Heather Park was a middle school, and we would like to bring the opportunity to the senior students at our elementary school. This travel opportunity would be open to all Heather Park students enrolled in Grade 6 or 7 in the 2013/14 school year. We feel that this is an important cultural event and are excited for our students to experience this famous celebration! Both French and English students are encouraged and welcome to attend.
Our guided tour would be approximately 6 days and 5 nights. Activities on this field trip may include:
- guided walking tour of Québec City
- visit to Le Château Frontenac
- view of the sites from l’Observation de la Capitale
- the Carnival’s Winter Festival evening parade
- some cold-weather fun activities that may include ice fishing, sledding, sleigh rides and dog sled races
- evening dinner at the sugar shack, an authentic Cabane à Sucre Québécoise
- the Quebec Carnival’s opening ceremonies at the Ice Palace
- inner tubing ride at the Village des Sports
- and more…
Approximate costs associated with this trip are $2200 per student which would cover airfare, hotel, transportation, activities, local tour guide, night time security, teacher chaperones and most meals. Exact prices would be determined once airline flights are booked, itineraries confirmed and numbers finalized. This cost could be reduced significantly through organized fundraising efforts over the next 15 months.
A very successful information meeting was held at the school on November 29, 2012. The attached Celebrate Quebec! Nov 2012 PowerPoint and Information Package handouts were distributed at the meeting. A follow up meeting will be held on January 24. All interested students and parents are requested to make a $200 non refundable deposit prior to the meeting. More details on the meeting and deposit will be sent out soon. If you’d like to join our email distribution list, or have specific questions please email Yvonne at email@example.com or Lesley at firstname.lastname@example.org