SCHOOL BUSES – WINTER WEATHER
The following are winter weather reminders regarding school buses:
1. Students shall not be expected to wait for a school bus more than fifteen minutes past the scheduled pickup time. If the bus has not arrived by that time, students should return to their homes or another prearranged place of shelter.
2. Parents are encouraged to arrange for someone to accompany small children to and from bus stops during extremely cold weather. Kindergarten students must be accompanied to and from their stop by a designated adult at ALL TIMES.
3. Parents are urged to develop emergency procedures with their children should they become stranded in cold weather. Please ensure that children have access to locked homes or other designated safe locations in case of a bus delay or other emergency.
4. Student baggage on school buses per Motor Vehicle Regulations 26/58, 35.14 (1) (c) (d) and (e)): Equipment such as skis, poles, toboggans, crazy carpets, sleds, skateboards, etc., are not allowed on regular school buses. If a school program requires this type of equipment, other arrangements must be made to bring it to school. Skates must have skate guards or be carried in a gear bag. If an item including band instruments and equipment bags cannot be held on a student’s lap, it cannot be brought on the bus.
5. Students are reminded to keep a safe distance away from all moving vehicles and not to “hitch bumper rides” on buses or any other vehicles.
6. Snow plows: The Ministry of Transportation and Highways warns students of the danger of playing near moving snow plows, particularly when the plows are throwing snow. The snow is thrown a considerable distance with great force and contains gravel and other particles that could inflict serious injury.