Committees and Working Groups

At the PAC meeting on October 6th, it was decided to set up the following committees / working groups / task forces:

  • Recess Activity Issues
  • Playground
  • School Activities
  • Food
  • Safety and Traffic
  • Fundraising
  • Bylaws

 A number of people have signed up for these groups, and an email will be going out soon to these people to start arranging meetings and discussions. Each group will have an executive member as a liaison, and to get the group going, but the group will meet to choose the structure that members prefer.

If anyone else is interested in joining one of these groups, please email

Unapproved minutes, October 6 2010 General Meeting

Wednesday Oct 6, 2010
Lab Room 2023
Attendance: 37 parents!
Call to Order: 7:01pm
1. Introductions
            -Sally welcomes everyone and starts the introductions around the room
2. Minutes
            –motion to accept by Carissa, 2nd by Sarah
3. Administrative Matters
            -review what parents want from PAC
            -how minutes are to be posted
            -agenda to be posted Monday of the week of mtg, if anyone would like to add anything, please email Sally
            –voted to move the meeting to 2nd Wednesday of the month, will be in Lab Room 2023
            -we will NOT be providing copies of minutes, agenda. It will be available on the website
            -we have a parking lot where if anything comes up during the meeting it will be dealt with at the end of the meeting if time allows, otherwise will go on the agenda for the next meeting
4. Bylaw’s
            -Sarah reviewed the proposed basic bylaw provision
            -would definately be able to add to it as we go
            –Sarah motions to adopt proposed bylaws, 2nd by Michelle
5. Principal’s Report
            -reviewed school situation
            -classroom teachers are going strong with students
            -office getting things unpacked and sorted
            -Dan & Steve are working mostly on health & safety
            -reviewed briefly & thanked parents that attended, the safety meeting last week
            -big issue currently is health & safety (nut aware vs nut free)
            -plan is contact parents to have meetings & have a safety plan in place for each child
            -Heather Park will use the SD#57 policy as it’s guiding force
            -a parent asked what the status of school is of nut aware vs free
            -Steve said our status is we are working toward an effective safety plan, classes will probably have different levels of awareness but there will definately be a school wide awareness
6. Priorities for PAC
            -review previous suggestions
            -other suggestions, safestart, school culture
            -Yvonne gave 3 stickers to each parent to give all in attendance a chance to prioritize
                        -another playground
                        -concerns of only 1 supervisor (Steve said 7 are on, but they are placed around the school yard)
                        -play areas designate K-2 3-7
                        -put equipment to use we already have, do we need more
                        -focus the children’s energy on something
                        -staggering recess times
                        -more focused supervision
                        -look at more specific activities when winter comes
                        -are AR &/or Springwood’s playgrounds coming?
                        -Question: when will we be getting another one? A: (Steve) was told they were going to get at least one, then there was a moritorium on any changes at any closed schools
                        -can parents make their feelings known
                        -at a DPAC mtg the info was that it would be $10K to move (who pays?), will it be structurely safe?
                        -establish a volunteer group
            –Dances & School Activities
                        -have the group discuss
                        -try and solicit ideas from all 3 former schools
                        -establish a volunteer group
                        -we are doing a fruit & veggie program (thanks to Heather & Maya)
                        -do we want a concession, discussion, its a go
                        -we want a healthy concession, we have to follow the healthy guidelines criteria
                        -can we do away with the vending machines, we have a contract
                        -do free hot lunches with profits (from hot lunches)
                        -establish a volunteer group
            –Traffic & Bus Loop
                        -do we want a task force
                        -establish a volunteer group
                        -can be combined with school activities
                        -to strickly raise money
                        -some think we need community building vs fundraising, others think vice versa
                        -make sure people are aware of tax receipts if donations made directly at SD57
                        -establish a volunteer group
            –Before the Bell
                        -if parents have any ideas or concern’s they are more than welcom to go see Steve or Dan
7. Executive Elections
            -some discussion over other positions, fundraising co-ordinator, safety officer, member at large position
            –Motion: Lorraine made a motion to establish a safety officer, 2nd by Tammy
            -voted: 19 nay, 14 yea
            -discussion over traffic bus loop group could bring forth another motion after they meet
8. Banking
            -Sally reviewed reason for one motion
            –Motion: Move that we open 2 bank accounts at the Spruce Credit Union, one to be used for general banking & one for our Gaming account; that we name Leeann Poppleton, Treasurer; Sally Connon, Chairperson; Kelly Thirkettle, Vice-Chairperson; and Lesley Lindsay, Secretary as signers on our accounts, and that 2 signatures are required to endorse cheques; also that we establish a petty cash fund of $100 & a discretionary spending amount of $50.
            –Motion by Leeann, 2nd by Carissa
            –Motion: Move that we join BC Confederation of Parent Advisory Councils, for a cost of $75, by October 31, 2010 and then get a 50% discount on that fee by giving our district parent advisory council our proxy vote for the November extraordinary general meeting.
            -Motion by Sarah, 2nd by Kelly
            -discussion, as funds will not likely be transfered by then Sarah to pay up front and PAC to refund when finances are in order
            -discussion on what PAC money from other schools would be Springwood about $1500, Austin Road about $2000
            -discussion on funds to establish concession
            -Yvonne ask if we should approve an amount for the concession group to get going
            –Motion: approval for the concession working group to spend up to $350 to get the concession established
            -Yvonne motions, 2nd by Terri
9. Parking Lot
            -gaming money is from government from lotto, casino & bingo, this year we are to receive $20/child, there is strings attached as to how the money can be spent
            -Pumpkin carving contest, Tracy to get it going
            -Carissa brought up some new activities/fundraising opportunities thru community policy such as operation red nose, she will provide a poster that we can put up on our PAC board
            -Andrew let us know that yesterday was Teacher’s Appreciation Day, we would like to acknowledge it
            -talked about a PAC teacher’s snack/goodies day (Wed Oct 20 -contact Lesley)
            -Steve mentioned that the teacher’s would definately appreciate a handwritten card or a parents/teachers only tea/gathering
            -discussion on getting the communication out better to all parents, PAC board to focus on better communication
Adjourn: 8:36pm

Minutes from first PAC meeting, September 22, 2010

Note: these minutes are unapproved at this time. Corrections may be made.


Wednesday September 22, 2010

Attendance: 60 plus parents!

Call to Order: 7:05pm (Lab Room 2023)

1. Outlined format for evening
-“What is the role of PAC”
-a concerned group of parents/guardians
-liase with school principal, reps from CTS
-suggest ideas, issues, organize events
-day to day functions ie: raise funds, currie suggestions & questions

2. Position’s description
-Chair: leader, main position of responsibility
-V Chair: consultive role with Chair, support role
-Treasurer: some background in finance helpfull (not a requirement), monthly financial reports, books kept transparent
-Secretary: maintains communications, pass on info to school, document decisions, minutes

3. Bylaws
-sample bylaws from BCCPAC, proposed only
-incoming executive will consider them
-tonight will be a secret ballet, in opaque envelopes to be collected and archived

4. Election: Chair
-Marilyn Langois by Gladys, 2nd by Tracy G, accepted
-Sally Connon by Nicole, 2nd by Kristin H, accepted
-Sally Connon elected Chair

5. Election: Vice Chair
-Yvonne Parkinson by Sarah H, 2nd by Tammy, accepted/withdraw
-Heather Wosny by Marilyn, 2nd by Carissa, accepted
-Kelly Thirkettle by Michelle, 2nd by Lesley, accepted
-Marilyn Langois by Georgia S, 2nd by Kim C, accepted
-Kelly Thirkettle elected Vice Chair

6. Election: Treasurer
-Tina Sarazzin by Yvonne, declined
-Sarah Holland by Tracy, 2nd by Tracy, declined
-Heather Wozny by Yvonne, 2nd by Tammy, declined
-Andrew by Yvonne, 2nd by Terry, declined
-Leeann Poppleton by Tasha, 2nd by Tamara, accepted
-noted that Leeann is a SD57 employee
-Sarah Holland read BCCPAC policy is ambiguous
-show of hands to support her name to stand, passed
-Leeann Poppleton is Treasurer by acclimation

7. Election: Secretary
-Sarah Holland by Kara, 2nd by Susan, declined
-Tamara Good/Tracy Christensen by Sarah, 2nd by Yvonne, accepted
-show of hands to support par of people standing for 1 position, passed
-Marilyn Langois by Kara, 2nd by Georgia, declined
-Yvonne Parkinson, declined
-Heather Wosny by Tara, 2nd by Tracy, declined
-Lesley Lindsay by Terri, 2nd by Lisa, accepted
-Lesley Lindsay elected Secretary

*Motions from floor for new positions*

Motion: Volunteer Co-ordinator: to co-ordinate lists of all Heather Park parents who wish to volunteer (email, phone etc.) by Lesley, 2nd by Leeann
-questions for/against, none
-Vote: That HPPAC to establish a volunteer co-ordinator position carried

8. Elections: Volunteer Co-ordinator
-Yvonne Parkinson by Michelle, 2nd by Kara, accepted
-Yvonne Parkinson is Volunteer Co-ordinator by acclimation

Motion: Communications Officer: media releases, newsletters, radio/TV/paper with respect to PAC and its activites (parents & public) by Tracy, 2nd by Susan
-questions, to public on behalf of PAC
-website not a requirement
-PAC will decide particulars
-is this Secretary’s role? Secretary is a big job, beneficial to have help to supplement role
-Vote: That HPPAC establish Communication Officer position, carried

9. Election: Communication Officer
-Sarah Holland by Susan, 2nd by Kara, accepted
-Tracy Christensen by Tamara, 2nd by Tracy, accepted
-show of hands to support both as Co-communications officers, passed
-Sarah Holland & Tracy Christensen are Co-communication Officers by acclimation

10. Safety Officer position was discussed
-decided to expand on positions at next board meeting


Grades 5 to 7 can now take a Band elective program

The school will be offering a Band Program Fine Arts Elective this year to students in grade 5-7, to be scheduled twice a week with a full year commitment.

For more information and registration form, please visit:

Happy World Teacher Day!

A big thank you to the wonderful teachers of École Heather Park Elementary School!

Proposed "starter" Constitution and Bylaws

École Heather Park Elementary School Parent Advisory Council
Constitution and Bylaws

The name of this Council is École Heather Park Elementary School Parent Advisory Council.

The Council will operate as a non-profit organization with no personal financial benefit accruing to members.

The business of the Council will be unbiased in respect of race, religion, gender, politics, sexual orientation, and physical or mental ability.

1. All parents and guardians of students registered in École Heather Park Elementary are voting members of the Council.

2. Administrators and staff (teaching and non-teaching) of École Heather Park Elementary may be invited to become non-voting members of the Council.

3. Every member will uphold the constitution and comply with these bylaws.

4. The rules contained in the current edition of Robert’s Rules of Order Newly Revised shall govern the Council in all cases to which they are applicable and in which they are not inconsistent with these bylaws and any special rules of order the Council may adopt.

1. Except as provided elsewhere in these bylaws, all matters requiring a vote will be decided by a simple majority of the votes cast.

2. In the case of a tie vote, the chair does not have a second or casting vote and the motion is defeated.

3. Members must vote in person on all matters. Voting by proxy will not be permitted.

4. Voting is by a show of hands or, where requested by two voting members present or for elections, by secret ballot.

5. A vote will be taken to destroy the ballots after ballots are used.

Executive Board
1. The executive board will manage the Council’s affairs between general meetings.

2. The executive board will include the president, vice-president, secretary, treasurer, and such other members of the Council as the membership decides. Officer positions can be shared.

3. Any voting member of the Council is eligible to serve on the executive board.

4. The executive board may meet by teleconference if necessary.

Constitution and Bylaw Amendments
Amendments to the Constitution and By-laws of the École Heather Park Elementary School Parent Advisory Council may be made at any general meeting at which business is conducted, providing:

1. Written notice of the meeting has been given to all members (14 days minimum). Notice posted on the PAC website 14 days in advance is considered to be sufficient notice.

2. The notice of the meeting shall include the amendments proposed.

3. A two-thirds (2/3) majority vote by voting members present will be required to amend the Constitution and By-laws.

Results from Post-it Note Poll

At the Parent Meet and Greet on September 14th, large sheets of paper were put up around the room, and parents were asked to post their comments on various topics.

These are the preliminary results:

What would an excellent Parent Advisory Council (PAC) look like?

  • must be open to new ideas
  • must be open and excited about pac
  • needs to be new blood
  • welcoming
  • friendly and approachable

  • must consider the budget
  • would like to have “fun factor”
  • effective fundraising ideas needed
  • must have many committees
  • must be committed executives
  • must want to be actively involved
  • must be positive
  • must be open to input
  • must be visible to parents/students
  • open to volunteers whether they want to donate 5 minutes or five days
  • must be able to get student involvement
  • an open mind to have both French and English reps
  • would be receptive to have both intermediate and primary reps
  • a group that is supportive of one another
  • a group that is well represented

What are you most impressed with?

  • “teachers positive energy.”
  • “readiness for September considering circumstances.”
  • “teachers ability to keep kids organized.”
  • “teachers positiveness.”
  • “great French immersion teachers.”
  • “English kindergarten teachers are great.”
  • “programs available to my son like art and drama.”
  • “communications ie: website, newsletters.”
  • “inviting classrooms.”
  • “friendly supervisors.”
  • “teachers ability to adapt.”

What I’m most worried about at Heather Park?

  • “bus lane cutting off kids from playground to the school.”
  • “placement of buslane.”
  • “zero playground for older kids.”
  • “basketball courts not fenced along roadway.”
  • “bus loop.”
  • “opening in chain link fence at the back of school.”
  • “size of playground vs number of kids.”
  • “staggered entrance in the morning would be much better.”
  • “not enough eyes on supervision.”
  • “number of students.”
  • “school wide sickness.”
  • “parking and pickup in winter.”
  • “class size.”
  • “lack of individual attention, and getting lost.”
  • “overcrowded in am.”
  • “consistency with teachers meeting children at doors.”
  • “not enough playground.”
  • “crosswalk!”
  • “outside time lunch and recess especially with little ones.”
  • “not enough drop off zones.”
  • “crosswalk at the bus loop.”
  • “loss of community feeling.”
  • drop off by bus and vehicle is not safe.”
  • “ playground supervision.”
  • “bus route.”
  • “children safety entering school.”
  • “lack of outside supervision.”
  • “playground placement and bus lane.”

Everything Else:

  • “I’d like to see all primary teachers meet their students outside every morning.”
  • “family dance.”
  • “agenda between teachers and parents to recognize student behavior and participation in class.”
  • “lunch for little kids and older kids at different times.”
  • “more order when children enter in the morning.”
  • “can mme white’s class have an extra place for the jackets it’s very congested with the split class.”
 Have any comments or suggestions? Please comment on this post!