Advocating for Students

School District 57



Parent Concerns: A Guide for Resolution

From time to time as a parent you may have a question or worry about an aspect of your child’s schooling. The following model represents some of the best practices for handling complaints fairly and respectfully.

Where do I start if I have a concern or problem?

Always start with the teacher, or staff member. A face-to-face meeting between teacher, parent, and student may be the best approach. The vast majority of problems and concerns are resolved by the person whose decision gave rise to the issue.

Where do I go next?

If for some reason the concern cannot be resolved by discussing it with the teacher, the vice-principal or principal will make every attempt to solve the problem at the school level and can help you contact appropriate people as necessary.

What if my problem cannot be solved at the school level?

You may wish to call an assistant superintendent of the school district. If you are unable to achieve satisfaction, referral to the superintendent may be necessary.

Where would I go from there?

You have the option of writing a letter to the school board or asking to make a formal presentation at a board meeting. If this does not work, section 11 of the School Act and BC Reg 24/08 allow appeals of decisions made by Boards of Education under specific circumstances. See

Would it be appropriate for me to ask the PAC to intervene on my behalf?

You can ask your PAC or District Parent Advisory Council for information and resources to assist with the process.

Everyone benefits when parents know how they can raise concerns or lodge a formal complaint.